EnglishEspañolDeutsch
Georg Rauscher
Turmuhrenfabrik
GmbH
Wuerzburger Straße 4
D-93059 Regensburg, Germany

Phone: +49 941 830 47-0
Fax: +49 941 830 47-27
E-Mail:

History of Rauscher Tower Clocks

Tower clock company foundation Georg Rauscher I, born 1886 in Regensburg, started his apprenticeship as a forest ranger. After his master's unexpected death he was forced to look for a new apprenticeship, which he found in the Tower Clock Company of Eduard Strobl, founded in 1900. After several years in Regensburg and Berlin and after the end of World War I in 1920 Georg Rauscher finished his master in precision mechanics and founded the Georg Rauscher Tower Clock Manufactory in “Stadt am Hof”, a city quarter right on the other side of the Danube, facing the dome.

Era of mechanical tower clocks and master clocks Finally Georg Rauscher was able to realize his own ideas and designed clocks ranging from 30 kg to 700 kg own weight. The production of such monumental machines took up to two months and more, the mounting at its final destination, the church tower, more than a week. Georg Rauscher was a compulsive problem-solver, fanatically devoted to clocks. His inventions include his first electromechanical clocks, which he built in 1926, thereby creating a sensation. Georg Rauscher achieved his greatest success in 1950 by installing two electromechanical tower clock mechanisms in two towers of the Theatinerkirche in Munich. They included altogether six clock faces and pairs of hands. Nowadays, 65 years later, his last tower clock is still in service. His son, Georg Rauscher II. was born on May 31st 1911 and soon walked in the footsteps of this father. 1938 he successfully passed the exams to become a precision mechanic and proved his skillfulness and passion in his fathers company, which he finally took over after his father passed away in 1950. After struggling to find space for an expansion of the production facilities he was able to find new premises on the former outskirts of Regensburg, in today’s Wuerzburger Street. This is also where in the 1950’s he perfected his art of tower clock making and was successfully able to drive the evolution from mechanical works to motor-driven tower clocks and master clocks.

Radio Synchronized Tower Clocks from Regensburg The old mechanical tower clock movement of the Theatinerkirche now is controlled by a master clock synchronised by radio waves via the official time-signal transmitter of the Federal Institute of Physics and Meteorology in Brunswick. In 1978, the founder’s grand son, Georg Rauscher III, finally accomplished the leap into present-day state-of-the-art tower clock construction with a radio synchronised clock on quartz basis which was set in operation in Regensburg's city hall. Meanwhile, this constant development has reached its peak in the fourth generation of microprocessor controlled DIGITIMER central control clock.

Firm's archive Apart from company focussed historical documents dating back to the 1920’s, the archive of the Rauscher Tower Clock Company comprises a collection of press articles. In former times the construction and assembly of a new tower clock was an important event for a church community and was hence covered and meticulously documented in local newspapers. The following press articles are therefore only a small collection of former news coverage.

Bayerischer Anzeiger 02/03/1938 Soon it will tick again– The Dompostuhr in the repair shop– Dial has a 3 meter diameter Read article (German)

Mittelbayerische Zeitung 07/23/1948 Tower clocks made in Regensburg all over the world Read article (German)

Regensburger Anzeiger 04/04/1961 Tower clocks made in Regensburg all over the world – Sole manufacturer in Oberpfalz and Niederbayern – Export to Saudi-Arabia Read article (German)

Mittelbayerische Zeitung 12/22/1967 The time strikes electrically – since yesterday noon the city hall's tower clock from 1875 stands still – An electrical movement took over to announce the hours and minutes Read article (German) Part 1 Part 2

Mittelbayerische Zeitung 12/10/1975 „Only one half is left“ of the city hall's dials Read article (German)

Sueddeutsche Zeitung 01/03/1977 People of Regensburg now act upon atomic time – 84 tower clocks are moving in time of the official DCF77 time transmitter Read article (German)

Der Spiegel vom 06/29/1981 Uhren – Rosa Zittern (German)

Recent press releases under Press